Drew E. Pomerance has dedicated his practice to representing the business community in all aspects of insurance coverage and bad faith disputes, employment and privacy issues, and trial and appellate argument. A business trial and appellate lawyer since 1982, Mr. Pomerance specializes in the areas of insurance coverage, insurance bad faith and employment litigation.
He represents businesses of every size and type in a variety of matters, typically involving insurance coverage or bad faith issues, as well as labor and employment counseling. He also litigates trade secret issues for businesses, including insurance coverage matters for misappropriation lawsuits. Mr. Pomerance is one of the most experienced class action attorneys in the country, having represented a number of different classes of employers against a variety of property and casualty insurance carriers for bad faith practices impacting hundreds of millions of dollars in premiums.
He has also represented different classes of consumers against their automobile carriers for violations of law in the manner of assessing premiums. He is one of a select group of lawyers to handle a class action lawsuit through its beginning stages, to trial, and ultimately on appeal.
- Landmark wage and hour class action resulting in a $90 million verdict against a major national security company.
- Landmark insurance bad faith decision resulting in a $20 million jury verdict against California’s largest workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
- Successful defense of a major misappropriation of trade secrets case against a Fortune 500 defense contractor.
- Multi-million dollar malicious prosecution verdict against a former CIA proprietary company.
- Obtained eight reported appellate court decisions, including a landmark decision from the California Supreme Court which upheld the rights of employers to sue their workers’ compensation insurance carrier for bad faith conduct resulting in unjustifiable premium increases.
- Won a binding $4 million arbitration award on behalf Children’s Hospital Los Angeles against its insurer, a decision that is expected to impact how the industry handles multi-year policies for professional liability insurance. Pomerance’s performance in this case was touted as “masterful” by the Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Children’s Hospital, who described Mr. Pomerance as one of the “best trial attorneys” he has ever encountered. Read letter…
- Obtained a $1.1 million dollar verdict against State Fund on behalf of an occupational medical clinic due to wrongful exclusion from the provider network. Then won a reported appellate decision upholding the jury verdict, and obtained a further award of $425,000 in attorney’s fees.
- Obtained a $500,000 settlement from a major international insurance company after the carrier refused to defend a non-profit charitable organization in a lawsuit.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Saban Research Institute
Richard Cordova, CEO of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, recently appointed Drew Pomerance to the Board of Trustees of the Saban Research Institute. A division of Children’s Hospital, the mission of the Saban Research Institute is to conduct laboratory and clinical research that will facilitate the understanding, prevention and treatment of childhood diseases. Pomerance serves on a board comprised of community members and hospital personnel who are dedicated to ensuring continued funding and the implementation of long range strategic planning for research at Children’s Hospital.
Pomerance had previously represented Children’s Hospital in a dispute with the hospital’s insurance company, a case which resulted in a multi-million dollar arbitration award in favor of the hospital. As a result of that experience and establishing a relationship with several of the hospital’s administrators, Pomerance became convinced that he could make a meaningful difference by giving his time to help the hospital on a long term basis.
“We are very pleased to have Drew on our Board,” says Dr. Brent Polk, Director of the Saban Research Institute. “We are excited to have someone work with us who has already demonstrated such a commitment to CHLA.”
- Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1981
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A., 1978
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Central and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth, Fifth and Ninth Circuits
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America Fellow, offered as a result of Pomerance’s professional excellence, integrity, and commitment to diversity.
- Pomerance was selected as one of “Southern California’s Top Rated Lawyers” for 2013, produced by American Lawyer Media.
- Named “Workers’ Comp Executive’s Most Influential People in California Workers’ Compensation”
- Elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), a national organization recognizing only the most experienced and successful trial lawyers.
- Consistently named a “Southern California Super Lawyer” in Los Angeles Magazine and Super Lawyers publications. This honor is given to the top 5% of attorneys in Southern California.
- Named one of the “Top 25 Lawyers in the San Fernando Valley” by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal.
- Received a “5 out of 5” AV® Preeminent™ overall peer rating by Martindale Hubbell.